with Index of names and
places at end
to Churchyards listed
Some Monumental Inscriptions of
Challock Church, Noted by Rev
Bryan Faussett noted 1757
Kindly typed up for the website by Pat
In ye Chancell are following on Flat Stones.[[¼ly 1 & 4). Arg. on
gu. 3 molets or (THURSTON). 2 & 3). Purp. 3 cinquefoils**
1. Here lyeth Buried the Body of Avery GYLES, who died the 1st Day of
April in ye Year or Our Lord God 1638, being of ye Age of 51 Years: and was
Buried by Jane his Loving Wife. Which Jane, his Loving Wife, departed the 12th
Day of December 1658, being of the Age of 70 Years, and lieth here inter’d.
2. Here lieth Buried the Bodys of Searles GYLES, and Jane his Wife. He died ye
3d. Day of August, Anno 1648. Aged 35 Years. She died ye 3d. of May, Anno 1647,
aged 33 Years.
3. Here lieth Buried the Body of Thomas HAWKER, who died ye 29th of
May, being a Bacheller, in ye Year of Our Lod God, 1639, being of ye Age of 36
Years; and was Buried by Gibbon Hawker his Brother.
* The Bend charged with 3
Mullets or. ** These sd. have been Quarterfoils Arg. each charged with a Lyons
Head erased sab
Secundum Christi Redemptoris Adventum, hic
Intumulatus, expectat, Tho. THURSTON, Qui, cum in Academia Oxoniensi, Sep
Transisset Annos, in Patriam Caelestem placide Pieq emigravit. Anno Domini 1632.
Aetatis suae 23.
In ye South Isle
5. On a Grey Stone, on which are the Portraits of a Man & Woman in Brass, is
the Following Inscription. Pray for ye Soul of Thomas THORSTON, and Johan his
Wife, which Thomas decessed ye 16th Day of September, the Year of Our
Lord 1504 on Whose Soull Jesu have Mercy.
In The Body of The Church.
6. On a White Stone on ye Floor, enlay’d with a Plate of Brass. Pray for ye
Soull of Robt. THORSTON, and Johan his Wif, which Robt. decessed ye 6 Day of
November, ye Year of Our Lord 1480 upon whos Soull Jesu have Mer..
7. On a large bl. Fl. Stone enlaid with a Plate of Brass. Statutum est Omnibus
Semel Mori. Here lyeth Buried the Bodies of Searles HAWKER, and Joane his Wife,
wch. Searles died ye 18th Day of May Anno Domini 1614. Anno Aetatis
suae Sexasessimo Quinto.
8. On Another Flat Stone. Here lieth The Body of Henry HAWKER, Gent. He died the
17th Day of July in ye Year of Our Lord God 1637 being ye Age of 55
Years, and buried by Me, Gibbon Hawker, his Loving Brother.
In The North Chancel.
9. On a Brass Plate, on a Flat Stone. Here lyeth ye Bodies of John WANSTALL, and
Susan his Wife, Daughter of John BING, of this Parish. She died 2 April 1737
Aged 66 Years. He died 14 July 1737 Aged 72 Years. Who had Issue 1 Son and 1
Daughter; viz: John and Martha.
10. In this Chancel are 3 other very ancient Flat Stones; and 2 Altar Tombs
fixed in the Wall between the 2 Chancells.
11. In The East Window of ye South Isle are these Coats. [In
line: I. Erm. a bend vairy or & gu. II. *Gu. fretty arg. III. Erm. a Bend gu.
IV. Gu. a lion rampt. or]. *I take this to be
the Coat of John de FLEMMING, or some of his Family, who had large Possessions
in ye Neighbouring Parish of Moldash; as PHILPOT informs us, and GUILLAN say’s,
that, The Name of Flemming do still bear this Coat.
12. This Church consists of a Body, 2 Side Isles, and 2 Chancells. In the North
Isle are Stone Steps wch. have formerly led up to a Rood Loft. It is cover’d
partly with Lead and Partly with Tiles. The Steeple is Towerd, and stands at ye
West End, having in it 4 Bells with ye following Inscriptions.
1. John WILNER Made Me 1634.
2. John WAYLET Made Me 1724.
3. Stephanus SWAN Me fecit. 1614. 4.
Henri WILNAR Made Me 1640.
13. This Church is Annex’d to Godmersham, and was called St. Cosmus and
Index of Names and Places
Avery 1, 2
HAWKER 3, 7, 8
THORSTON 5, 6
For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent
Archaeological Society click
Churchyards Listed Back
to Library and Visual Records Back
to Research Back to Homepage
Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 27 July 2007
This website is constructed by enthusiastic
amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please
send details too firstname.lastname@example.org