St Jesus Hospital
with Index of names and
places at end
to Churchyards listed
Some Monumental Inscriptions of Canterbury,
St Jesus Hospital, Noted by Rev
Bryan Faussett noted 1758
1. In The Chapel – On a Tablet on The N. Wall. (Taken from his
Monument in The Cathedral of Canterbury) Johanni BOYS de Fredville
Equiti aurato, Juris Anglicani Consultissimo, quinq Archiepiscopis
Cantuariae, in Temporalibus, Seneschallo; Tribus quinq Portnum
Custodibus in eorum Cancellariâ Assessori; Civitatis Cantuariae
Recordatori; Hospitalis Jesu, in Suburbio, Fundatori. Viro, Pietate,
Gravitate, et Mansuetudine singulari. Qui duas duxit Uxores; Dorotheam
PAWLEY, et Janam WALKER; Sed nulla Prole relictâ, Christo Servatori
devotam Animam reddidit Die 8 Augusti, Anno Salutis 1612. Aetatis suae
Arg. on a fess betw. 3 trofils slipt az. 3 plates.
2. On Another Tablet on The North Wall.
II. Az. a fesse betw. 3 whelk-shells arg.].
Thomas WELTON, The Elder, Brother of this Hospitall, went into the Wars
of Germany, under the Command of The LORD MARQUISS HAMILTON, Anno Dom.
1630. Serv’d 6 Yeeres in Gustavus ADOLPHUS, King of Sweedland his Army
– was taken Prisoner by ye Imperiall Forces at the Famous Battle of
Marling; and, from that Time serv’d in the Emperor’s Army 8 Yeares;
where he was a Drum Major in the Regiment of the Right Honourable the
Lord Christopher CETCH, Head Marshall of the Feild.
3. In The East Window is This Coat, with ye date 1600. [BOYS
- ¼ly, wt. escut. of
¼ly: 1). Or, a griffin segreant & a border gu.
2). Sa. a chevn. arg. betw. 3 buckles or.
3). Arg. on a fesse sa. betw. 3 lions’ heads erased gu. 3 plates.
4). Per pale & per fesse indented erm. & gu. wt. sct. of
Gu. 3 lions passt. arg. over all on a bend az. 3 molets or. imp. Lozengy
or & gu. on a chief arg. a lion passt. sa].
[I. (Arch. Bp.
PARKER) See of Cant. imp. Gu. on a chevn. betw. 3 keys, wards up, arg. 3
stars of 5 pts. gu.
4. On The Same Wall are The following Coats.
II. (Arch. Bp. GRINDALL) Ditto imp. ¼ly or & az. a + countercharged
sa. & arg. in 1&4). a martlet sa. 2&3). a martlet arg.
III. (Arch. Bp. WHITGIFT). Ditto imp. Or, on a + patonce sa. 4 bezants].
5. On The South Wall, is an Atchievement, with BOYS impaling as before.
6. The Following Inscriptions and Dates are cut on small Square Stones,
which are placed here and there in ye Outward Wall, next the Street.
Sr. John BOYS Knight, founded this Hospitall, Anno. 1595.
James NICHOLES the 3d. Warden March 23 1609/10.
Edward OWER the 4th Warden the 8th of February
William TWYSDEN the 5th Warden the .. of January A.D. 1633/.
Thomas JONES the 6th Warden. Sept the last. A.D. 1639.
7. This Hospitall is situated at the further End of Norgate Street, on
the East Side of the Way, a little beyond St. Gregory’s. Its Society
consists of 8 Brothers, and 4 Sisters. The Warden reads Prayers in the
Chapel. They bury at ye several Parishes to which they belong, and have
no Burying Ground belonging to the Hospitall. 1758.
Index of Names and Places
BOYS 1, 3, 6, 6
Battle of Marling 2
Burying Ground 7
Drum Major 2
For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent
Archaeological Society click
Churchyards Listed Back
to Library and Visual Records Back
to Research Back to Homepage
Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 5th March 2008
This website is constructed by enthusiastic
amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully
received so that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please
send details too email@example.com