KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage


Maynard's Spital, Canterbury with Index of names and places at end

Back to Churchyards listed

Some Monumental Inscriptions of Maynard's Spital, CanterburyNoted by Rev Bryan Faussett noted 1758

Kindly typed up for the website by Pat Tritton

1. This House and Chapel was founded by John [Somner says "more rightly MAYNER"] MAYNARD for Brothers and …./. An. Dom. 1317 (error for 1327) in the 2d. Yeare of the Rayne of KING EDWARD the SECOND. This Work was finish’d and the Chapel repaired in the year of Our Lord 1617 by Joseph COLF Esq. Alderman of the City of Canterbury and Master of this Hospital.

2. This Hospital and Chapel being decaied were rebuilt from the Foundation, by the Charitable Contribution of the Mayor and Aldermen, and many of the Freemen, and Inhabitants of this City & other worthy Benefactors, A/.D. 1708. John BEAUMONT, Esq. Mayor, Alderman OUGHTON, Chamberlaine, Alderman WILSON, Master.

3. The present Master viz. 1758 is Mr Alderman HAYWARD.

Index of Names and Places

Names Index
BEAUMONT 2
COLF 1
HAYWARD 3

MAYNARD 1
OUGHTON 2
WILSON 2
General
Alderman 1, 2, 3
Chamberlaine 2
Master 1, 2, 3
Mayor 2

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back to Churchyards Listed       Back to Library and Visual Records        Back to Research         Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 5th March 2008

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk