All Saint's Church,
with Index of names and
places at end
to Churchyards listed
Some Monumental Inscriptions of All
Saint's Church, Canterbury, Noted by Rev
Bryan Faussett noted 1758
Kindly typed up for the website by Pat
1. The Chancell and Body of this Church are not distinct from each Other, but
compose One long Isle.[On
a bend cotised wavy 3 roundels (sh. drawn)].
In Memory of Thomas HURNARD Esq. Alderman of Norwich who died in this City on
his Return from France, the 3oth of August 1753. Aged 41 Years. In Propriety of
Conduct he was an Honour to himself; by his Humanity, an Happyness to others; In
Resolution equal to the greatest Difficulties; by Perseverance Superior to the
most Injurious Attacks on the Trade of his Fellow Citizens supporting their
highest Honours with an Integrity they remember with Gratitude.
2. On a Flat Stone with this Coat.
3. On Another. Thomas SHELDON dyed Nov. 18 1700. Aged 2 Years. Here lies a
Blossom of the World’s great Tree,/As sweet and fresh as Budds of Roses
bee./He seem’d the whole Delight where e’re he came;/He bore the Glory of
his Youthfull Name./He died an Angell: Heavens are for such;/His mournful
Parents pray to have as much.
4. On Another. Depositum Eliae MAUROIS qui in Gallo Belgio natus atque
Religionis ergo Profugns, Cantuariae Mercator sedulus, probus, 50 circiter Annos,
Fide plenus, 60 Aetatis Anno 27 Januar. 1628/9, tristes cum M…../Viduâ Duos
Filios, et Quatuor Filias, relinquens. Mercator Gazas quaesivit fidus opertas;
Has vivus petiit, plenius at moriens Anglia Tishbitam suscepit, candida,
sanctum; Angelica at Civem jam Loca pura tenent.
5. On Another. Here Lyeth, betweene two of her Daughters, Margaret the Wife of
Daniel PISTOR buried the 23 of July Anno 1621.
6. On Another. Susanna, Daughter of Val. SIMPSON and Mills his Wife. She died
Dec. 9 1740. Aged 1 Year and 3 Months.
7. In the Eastmost Window of the N. Isle is still remaining the Coat of Arch
Bishop BOURCHIER. In the Next, are the Arms of the Deanery of Canterbury.
8. Here are many Flat Stones wch. have been inlaid with Brass, now lost.
9. This Church consists of the Chancell and Body (wch. are both in One, without
any Distinction) and an Isle toward the North. The *Steeple is on the South
Side, in it are 3 Small Bells – all cast by Joseph HATCH 1627. Over these
hangs a Small Bell, in a kind of open Turret, on which the Clock strikes,
without Inscription. The Dial of the Clock is fix’d to a Beam, which reaches
cross the Street, from ye Church to East Bridge Hospital. *The Steeple was pull’d
down A.D. 1769 in Order to ye Widening of the King’s Bridge.
10. This Church was dedicated (as its Name Shews) to All Saints.
11. It is a Rectory in the Patronage of ………/.
12. The Present Rector is The Rev. Mr. Theodore DELAFAYE 1758.
13. [Précis by D’ELBOUX: Suggests the Mitre was Stone Hall, and gives details
of Tassellated Roman Pavement found in 1758 in digging cellar under the Mitre.
Three coins: 2 Caransius and one Valens. All this presumably in the Faussett
Index of Names and Places
Arch Bishop 7
For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent
Archaeological Society click
Churchyards Listed Back
to Library and Visual Records Back
to Research Back to Homepage
Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 8th March 2008
This website is constructed by enthusiastic
amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please
send details too firstname.lastname@example.org