The Monumental Inscriptions in the
Churchyard of Brenzett in Kent - Noted by Leland
502. William BURGESS late of this parish died 31 May 1853 aged 67. Mary his wife 12 October 1866 aged 76. Left surviving by Mary his wife 13 children: Eliza, Stephen, Caroline, William, Robert, Mary, Peter, Thomas, Louisa, James, George Alexander, Elizabeth, Fanny Ann.
503. (Footstone) RT 1795 (probably belongs to the next).
504. Hannah wife of Richard TURNER late of this parish died 11 February 1799 aged 31. Richard son of above died 25 November 1795 aged 2 months. Left surviving one son and three daughters; Daniel, Elizabeth, Susanna and Mary.
505. Richard TURNER late of this Parish died 4th March 1833 aged 76.
506. Sarah, wife of Richard TURNER late of this Parish died 10th March 1811 aged 50.
507. Charles GRIST died 1st June 1840 aged 39. He had issue by Mary his wife ten children: Charles, Giles, Mary Ann, John, George, Adolphus, Eliza, Thomas, Elizabeth, Harriet who died an infant.
In the eastern part of the yard
537. (Under east window) John FISHER died 12 September 1772 aged 39.
538. Thomas FISHER died 13 August 1744 aged 51. Also Mary widow of Thomas Fisher January ye 22, 1763 aged 74.
539. Mary wife of Thomas FISHER, 13 January 1771 aged 39. William their son 28 January 1771 aged 3 weeks.
540. Susanna wife of Thomas FISHER died 12 February 1774 aged 23.
541. Thomas FISHER Gentleman of this parish died 25 December 1818 aged 83. He had issue by Mary his first wife 2 sons and 3 daughters: Thomas, William, Catherine, Mary and Elizabeth. And by Susanna his second wife one son Edward. He was a Jurat of Romney Marsh 50 years to whose memory a monument is erected in the church (no 569). Anna his third wife died 23 February1810 aged 73.
542. Caleb CAISTER of Sellinge died 4 August 1810 in 63rd year. Ann his wife died at Wye in this county 10 December 1841 aged 88.
543. John HONYSETT of this parish died 30 May 1781 aged 28.
544. Elizabeth wife of James BOURNE of this parish died 7 November (?1788) aged (?25). Ann his second wife died 22 May 1810 aged 50.
545. John MAYLAM died 15 February 1781 aged 40. Mary widow of John Maylam died 16 August 1786 aged 70. William died at Gosport 13 May 1787 aged 38. Thomas died at Dymchurch
546. Thomas MAYLAM of this parish one of the Jurats of Romney Marsh 6 August 1757 aged 47. Left issue by Mary his wife surviving him 4 sons and 2 daughters: Thomas, Ann, John, Mary, William and James. Also James Maylam son of above Thomas and Mary died 7 February 1773 aged 21.
547. Thomas SLOMAN died 21 June 1738 in 6(2)? year.
548. Elizabeth wife of Thomas SLOMAN died 15 April 1758 in 86th year.
549. George SLOMAN died . April 1780 in 7(..?) year.
550. Thomas SLOMAN of this parish died . M .. (?March) 177-.
551. George AUSTIN died 13 February 1853 aged 70. Ann his wife 8 March 1856 aged 69. Leaving surviving Francis, Dinah, Harriett, Elizabeth, Naomi and Mary Ann.
552. (Broken headstone) Elizabeth SHARWOOD wife of William Sharwood of this parish died 1813 aged 59. Left issue .. Elizabeth, Stephen ..
553. (In centre of eastern part) Henry SMITH of this parish blacksmith, died 20 May 1809 aged 79.
554. (North eastern part) Mary wife of William REELY died 19 March 1798 aged 30.
555. (Headstone broken) William Reely died 19 March 1812 aged (?35). Hannah (?his wife) .. (Footstones WR, HR).
556. (Ditto). Footstones WR, AR.
North side of yard.
557. Jeffery FRIEND late of Brookland, Yeoman, deceased who died 14 May 1771 aged 40. Erected by his wife whom he left surviving and 2 sons and 4 daughters. His wife Lucy Friend died 17 May 1812 aged 83.
558. John CAPELING of this parish died in Guys Hospital 6 March 1879 aged 66. Martha his wife died 27 March 1878 aged 60.
559. Charles RICKON died 4 July 1862 aged 47. Left surviving Ann his wife and 6 children. Also Louisa Frances Rickon daughter of above died 22 January 1875 aged 25.
560. Thomas MORRIS died 28 April 1866 aged 71. Elizabeth his wife 10 June 1857 aged 60. Left surviving 1 son and 4 daughters.
561. (Head face down) Footstones WHM 1845. RW 1847.
562. Ernest Albert son of Edward and Eliza SMITH born 20 February 1878 died 9 January 1880.
563. Frank son of Edward and Eliza SMITH died 26 February 1871 aged 3 years.
In the church
564. (in north chapel a monument with effigies of two men): Dedicated to the memmorie of John FAGGE Esquire sonne of John Fagge of Rye in the county of Sussex Gentleman who married one of ye daughters and heires of Clement COBB of Canterbury in the county of Kent Gentleman, by whom he had issue two sonnes and fower daughters. He departed this life the 22 day of June Anno Domini 1639. Here also lyeth interred the body of John Fagge of Rye in the county of Sussex Gentlemen, sonne of ye above said John Fagge, who married Elizabeth daughter of Barnabe HODGSON of Framfield in the county of Sussex Gentleman by whome he had issue one sonne and one daughter. He departed this life the 25 day of July Anno Domini 1646. His surviving sonne caused this monument to be erected. On the front edge of the monument are two shields of arms, that on the left is arg. two bends vair (Fagge) impaling arg a chev.between 3 cocks gu (Cobb). That on the right is Fagge impaling erm on a chief gu. 3 swords points upwards arg (Hodgson). On the east and west ends are the Fagge arms.
In the nave
565. (Flat stone) Here lieth interred the body of William BEAN. He died February the 15th 1763 aged 66 years.
566. (Flat stone) Arms a chev. between 3 leopards faces impaling a chev between 3 stags trippant attired etc: Anna WENTWORTH dyed October 2nd 1761 aged 57. Hear lieth the body of the Reverend Mr John Wentworth Rector of Snargate upwards of 6 years and Vicar of Brenset 32 years. He died May the 26th 1770 much lamented by all his acquaintance aged 62 years. Rachel second wife of the above John Wentworth died on the 18th of December 1800 in the 90th year of her age and is buried at Stoke Newington, Middlesex.
567. (Flat stone) Here lyeth invalted? to the memory of our dear friend William SNOAD, who departed this life ye 26 day of March 1761 aged 65 years. Having left a widow and three children viz: William, George and Mary. Here also lieth the body of Mary his wife who departed this life January the 22nd 1763 aged 58 years.
568. (Mural) In loving memory of Rhoda CAPELING died 24 June 1903 aged 56 years. Erected by her daughter Elizabeth E PALMER, Calefornia.
569. (Mural) Sacred to the memory of Thomas FISHER Gentleman of this parish departed this life December 25, 1813 aged 83. He was a Jurat of Romney Marsh 50 years. His remains are interred at the south east corner of the churchyard. (see No. 541).
Index of Names, Places and General
For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society click here
Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
This website is constructed by enthusiastic
amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully