|formed no part of its ordinary population. It
was the de facto population (i.e. the population actually
resident at a particular time) and not the de jure (i.e. the
population really belonging to any particular place at a particular
time). This principle has been sustained throughout the censuses.
The Army at home (including militia), the men of the Royal
Navy ashore, and the registered seamen ashore were not included in the
population of the places where they happened to be, at the time of the
census, until 1841. The men of the Royal Navy and other persons on board
vessels (naval or mercantile) in home ports were first included in the
population of those places in 1851. Others temporarily present, such as
gypsies, persons in barges, &c., were included in 1841 and perhaps
Up to and including 1831 the returns were
mainly made by the overseers of the poor, and more than one day was
allowed for the enumeration, but the 1841-1921 returns were made under
the superintendence of the registration officers and the enumeration was
to be completed in one day. The Householder’s Schedule was first used
in 1841. The exact dates of the censuses are as follows:—
27 May 1811
28 May 1821
7 June 1841
31 March 1851
3 April 1871
4 April 1881
6 April 1891
1 April 1901
3 April 1911
20 June 1921
NOTES EXPLANATORY OF THE TABLE
This table gives the population of the
ancient county and arranges the parishes, &c., under the hundred or
other sub-division to which they belong, but there is no doubt that the
constitution of hundreds, &c., was in some cases doubtful.
In the main the table follows the arrangement in the
1841 census volume.
The table gives the population and area of each
parish, &c., as it existed in 1801, as far as possible.
The areas are those supplied by the Ordnance Survey
Department, except in the case of those marked ‘e,’ which are only
estimates. The area includes inland water (if any), but not tidal water
† after the name of a civil parish indicates that
the parish was effected by the operation of the Divided Parishes Acts,
but the Registrar-General failed to obtain particulars of every such
change. The changes which escaped notification were, however, probably
small in area and with little, if any, population. Considerable
difficulty was experienced both in 1891 and 1901 in tracing the results
of changes effected in civil parishes under the provisions of these
Acts; by the Registrar-General’s courtesy, however, reference has been
permitted to certain records of formerly detached parts of parishes,
which has made it possible approximately to ascertain the population in
192! of parishes as constituted prior to such alterations, though the
figures in many instances must be regarded as partly estimates.
†† In the following cases the 1911 and 1921 figures are
estimated, namely, Guston, River, Margate, Minster, Wood (or Acol),
Birling, Snodland and Paddlesworth, East Farleigh, Loose, Cooling,
Tonbridge, Nettlestead, Yalding, Speldhurst, Cheriton, Leigh, Bexley,
Chislehurst, Foots Cray, City of Canterbury, St. Margaret (Rochester),
St Pau], Deptford (part in Kent), Greenwich, and Dover; and in the
following cases the 1921 figures only, namely, St. Peter’s
(Broadstairs) and Grange.
* after the name of a parish (or place) indicates that such
parish (or place) contains a union workhouse which was in use in (or
before) 1851 and was still in use in 1921.
‡ after the name of a parish (or place) indicates that
the ecclesiastical parish of the same name at the 1921 census was
coextensive with such parish (or place).
§ after the name of a parish (or place) indicates that the
civil parish of the same name at the 1921 census was coextensive with
such parish (or place).
o in the table indicates that there is no population on the
area in question.
— in the table indicates that no population can be
The word ‘chapelry’ seems often to have been used as an
equivalent for ‘township’ in 1841, which census volume has been
adopted as the standard for names and descriptions of areas.
The figures in italics in the table relate to the area and
population of such sub-divisions of ancient parishes as chapelries,
townships, and hamlets.