Ash Playing Field
In 1934 the Baroness M. Meyeren Hohenberg, who was then
living at "The Patch" (now known as "Eaglesfield"),
West Yoke rented the field on which the "Villa Croisic" now
stands. At that time it was the property of the late Harry Smith, who
owned "Corner Farm", West Yoke. The Baroness had the field
prepared for a children’s playing field. A swing and a see-saw were
erected. The official opening day was celebrated with a fete. For about
2 years, perhaps a little more, the children made good use of the field.
The fete had brought in funds to help keep the field in good condition.
In about 1936 the Baroness moved away and soon afterwards Harry Smith
sold his farm and of course the Playing Field went with it.
Before this time Mr G. Day loaned the field known as
"Clays Mead" for a children’s playing field.
Hodsoll Street Playing Field
In 1956 Mr W.C.R. Stoneham of Pettings Court, Hodsoll
Street, offered a small field behind the Council Houses at Hodsoll
Street to the Parish Council for a Children’s playing field. The
Council accepted the offer and had the field fenced in. They are
entirely responsible for its upkeep, but the land still remains the
property of Mr Stoneham.
Hodsoll Street and Ridley
proposed Village Hall
Early in 1952 the people of Hodsoll Street and Ridley
decided that a Village Hall was necessary, especially now that the
population had increased. The Rev. J.D. Vigo called a public meeting
and it was decided to start raising funds for this purpose. A
committee was formed with the Rev. J. D. Vigo as Chairman, Mrs Betty
Bolster Hon. Secretary, and Mr W.C.R. Stoneham Hon. Treasurer. Over
the years membership of the Committee has changed, at the present time
members are:- Mr A.J. Talbot, Chairman, Mrs Bolster Hon. Secretary, Mr
Stoneham Hon. Treasurer, Rev. Vigo, Mrs Thompson, Mrs Handford, Mrs K.
Smith, Mr & Mrs R. Sanders, Mr & Mrs G. French and Mr C.
Waters. The money raised for this project has now reached
approximately £630. Fetes, sales, whist drives, dances etc. have all
helped towards this achievement. Part of the land for the hall was
given by Mr & Mrs T.H. Burgess, late of Hodsoll Street, and Messrs
F Terney and Son s Ltd. the Brewers, have offered to make available
further land when we are ready to build, this land would also be
given. The committee have now decided on the size of the building they
consider most suitable and have selected provisionally a type of
building they think it likely they will be able to erect. Planning
permission is now being sought.