For many years Miss Lambard, sister of the Rev C.J. Lambard, held a
Mothers’ meeting at the Old Rectory, Ash. Owing to ill health she
had to discontinue these meetings and on May 6th 1909 the
last meeting was held.
On May 10th 1911 the Mothers’ Union was established and
continued for some years, but had discontinued long before the
outbreak of World War II.
In 1942 Mrs Vigo, wife of the new Rector, re-started the
movement and eventually the Mothers’ Union banner appeared in our
Church. The meetings are held monthly and there is quite a good
Girls Friendly Society
In the year 1948, Mrs Vigo started a Girls Friendly Society in Ash.
She was helped by Mrs McCarthy of the "Old Rectory" and Mrs
Muller of "School House". The girls were trained in drama by
Mrs McCarthy and several very good shows were put on in
the Parish Hall. The proceeds of these shows were the main source of
the Society’s funds.
Mrs Muller taught the mothers various handicrafts, and they were
taught ballroom dancing by Mrs Vigo and country dancing by Mrs Farage.
Visits were paid to Girls Friendly Societies in
neighbouring villages and of course our members returned the
The Society started with a fairly
strong membership, but gradually girls left the Village for business
purposes, or were married and moved away and there were few eligible
to take their places. After about four years the membership was so
small that it was decided to discontinue the meetings.
Guides and Brownies
The first Ash Company of Girl Guides was formed in
1942 with Mrs Gladys Simmons as Captain. The meetings were held in a
hut on Mr W. Simmons property, Billett Hill. The girls showed great
enthusiasm in cleaning and decorating the hut and spent many happy
hours there until the Company was disbanded in October 1945. The register and
records are in the possession of Mrs Simmons. There
was a membership of 25.
Several years earlier there was a Company of girl Guides which
combined Ash members with Fawkham, but records are not available.
A small Company of Brownies has been running for a few years now under
the leadership of Miss Joan Barnes as Brown Owl.
Scouts and Cubs
The only record available of the formation of a Company
of Boy Scouts is during the First World War. This Company was run by
Mr Debenham Jnr.