KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH    Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

History of Ash and Ridley from Earliest Records to 1957
Compiled by Dorothy G. Meager on behalf of Ash and Ridley Women's Institute           Page 89

These webpages are designed to be viewed with the screen resolution set at 800 x 600 and text size at normal. HOW TO


The year 1920 saw the inauguration of the Ash Child Welfare Centre, and it was held in the Parish Hall. This was Mrs George Dayís special care. The centre began in a very small way under the auspices of the District Council, but with the passing of the years it grew to considerable proportions.
   Mrs Day was much loved throughout the village, where she took an active part in its social life until she was obliged to relinquish her activities during her husbandís illness. She worked on the Child Welfare Committee for well over 20 years and during that time great improvement in the condition of the children was evident, they were better cared for and more sensibly dressed. The centre was concerned with the care of the children until they reached school age. Her fellow committee members were 

Mrs Fulford, Mrs F. Anstiss and the late Miss Hood.
   On Mrs Dayís retirement the work was taken over by Mrs F. Goodwin. She was helped by Mrs Meager and Mrs Vigo. Up to the year 1947 the District Health Visitor and Doctor attended. After the National Health Scheme came into operation the District Nurse also helped. As time went on there were so few new babies in the Village that the County decided in 1951 to close our clinic and have a central one at Hartley for the surrounding villages, and transport is provided for the mothers.
   Up to the outbreak of the Second World War a clinic party was held every year at Christmas with a Christmas tree and tea. After the war this custom was revived and continued until the clinic closed down.

Previous Page          Back to Contents Page          Next Page

Back to Ash next Ridley - Members & others Researches

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back to Members & others Researches      Back to Research         Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 28th August 2007 

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details to