Mrs. Foa, then living at Holywell Park, was the
prime mover in the foundation of the Ash, Fawkham and Ridley Nursing
Association in 1927, and was President until 1935. Miss Wright of
School House was the Honorary Secretary for a number of years, while
the late Mrs G. Day of North Ash Farm filled the role of Honorary
Treasurer over a long period.
From the commencement of this Association, Nurse Edge,
who still lives at "Rhodesia", Ash, played the all-important
part in the scheme which the Association supported until the
Nationalisation of the Health services in 1947. In the early days she
did her rounds on her bicycle or on foot, but she was finding it
increasingly difficult to give proper attention to all the calls made
upon her. The Committee therefore decided in 1935 to organise a Fete
in Ash. This proved to be a great success, £100 was raised and a
small car was bought for Nurseís use.
About this time Lady Cynthia Hohler, of Fawkham Manor
became President and Chairman, Sir Thomas Hohler K.C.M.G., C.B. also
of Fawkham Manor, became the Honorary Treasurer, and Mrs H. N.
Robertson of "The Old Rectory", Ridley, became Honorary
In 1937 came the fusion of the Stansted Association with
that of Ash, Ridley and Fawkham, with the result that a further three
and a half square miles of territory were added to that already
covered by Nurse, and the number of sick visits paid by her that year
To pay the Nurseís salary and other expenses in
connection with the running of the Association grants were made from
the K.C.C. through the Kent County Nursing Association in aid of
Midwifery and Maternity, also a direct grant from the K.C.C. in aid of
District Nursing. Besides these grants, Committee Members,
representing each village in the Association collected a minimum of 4s
per annum from most of the inhabitants, who of course had the right of
the Nurseís services. Also maternity fees were
payable, and each year there were special efforts
by Villagers to keep the Association in funds.
At the outbreak of the Second World War changes on the
Committee became inevitable, Mr Timewell who had taken over the
Treasurership from Sir Thomas Hohler only a few months previously,
retired on joining the Army and the late Mr V.F. James of Manns Farm
House, West Yoke, took his office. Mrs Robertson went to America with
her children and Miss Lucy Hilbert of Manor Cottages, Fawkham,
consented to act as Secretary.
A few months previous to the outbreak of war, Nurseís
car broke down completely, and in response to an advertisement sent by
Mrs Robertson to the "Times", Mr Vickery of Somerset, very
generously offered his Armstrong Siddeley, and it was accepted with
gratitude and thanks. Mr Dreyer, Sir Thomas Hohlerís Chauffeur,
journeyed to Somerset to fetch it in spite of severe weather
Early in 1946 we were instructed by the K.C.C. that our
Association must link up with Longfield as both funds and nurses were
in short supply. Again there came a change of officers and several
Committee members resigned. Mrs Andrus of Hartley Court became
President and the Secretary and Treasurer of Longfield retained their
respective positions. Nurse Stewart was sent to the district.
The following year saw the Nationalisation of all health
services and the dissolution of all Village Nursing Associations.
Many Villagers remember with affection the capable,
kindly and cheerful personality of Nurse Edge when she visited her
patients over a period of twenty long years.
Before the formation of the Nursing Association in 1927 a
nurse acted locally in Ash but the village inhabitants can not
remember her name.