Butchers Shops About 80 years ago the cottage in Ash
Street now know as "Marazion" was a butchers shop kept by
William Russell. In the year 1891 he built the premises called "Ashlands"
with a much larger shop and a big slaughterhouse at the back. John
Rogers (see old families) served his apprenticeship with William
Russell, starting at the age of 12 years. His butchers round was done
on horseback resting the loaded basket on one knee. Mr Holmes followed
William Russell and carried on at "Ashlands" for 21 years.
Then John Rogers took over the business and ran it for about 20 years.
Soon after John Rogers sold the property and it was converted into a
private residence and is now occupied by the Manager of
"Ashlands Fruit Farm".
Many years ago a pork
butchers shop was kept by Frederick Oliver at West Yoke almost
opposite "Olivers Farm".
Russell left the original butchers shop and it was turned into a general
shop and was run by Miss Pryer until August 1918 when Mr
& Mrs Whiffin and their family moved in.
Mr Whiffin outside Whiffin Stores
Owing to her husbandís
ill health Mrs Whiffin ran the general store and also took the
position of Postmistress.
At the outbreak of the Second World War,
when rationing started, Mrs Whiffin decided to sell out
stock and give all her attention to the Post Office work. She retired
to one of the Almshouses at North Ash in 1952.
The general shop at West Yoke was run by Henry Oliver for
many years, he died in 1929 at the age of 90. It was then empty for a
short time. Afterwards it became a private dwelling. About 26 years
ago it was re-opened as a general shop by Mrs Lawson (now Mrs
Wright?), in whose hands it still remains.
Ash Post Office
The little shop in Ash Street, which is now a General Shop & Post
Office, has quite a varied history. There seems to be no records prior
to 1871 when we learn that it became a private school for boys. Then
it became a cycle repair shop and the shed at the side was used as a
mortuary for parishioners who had died in the institution then known
as the "Workhouse" and awaited burial in Ash Churchyard. It
was then closed for some time and the next we learn that the Village
boys used it as a Club House. At one period, about 50 years ago a
harness maker rented the room behind the shop for one day a week. Next
it was opened as a greengrocers shop by the late Mr Debenham (Sexton
at Ash Church) and his son did deliveries around the Parish. Again it
was closed for a time, then the late Mr & Mrs Hurley opened it as
a tea shop, which for a time did very well. Mrs Hurley then rented (the bungalow)
"Netherfield" next to the shop and teas were
served in there and the shop was stocked as a general shop. On her
retirement it changed hands twice as a general shop. It is now both
general shop and Post Office and is run by Mrs Barlow.