Although many of the old cottages have been
demolished, there are still a great number left and it will be
observed that they are mainly built with flints which are found in the
neighbourhood. Some are half flint and half timber while others are
entirely timber. All originally had thatched roofs but these have
mostly disappeared and have been replaced by slates or tiles. Some of
the cottages have had the outer walls cemented over or rough cast to
keep out the damp. After the First World War 18 houses known as
Butlers Place were built by the Dartford Rural Council, the land on
which they stand was given by the late Mr. George Day. These were
brick built, as were most of the houses put up between the wars. A few
wooden houses went up and breeze blocks have been extensively used
mostly for inside walls especially since the end of World War 2.
Another block of Council houses was built in 1945-46 at Hodsoll
Street. The Council houses pay an inclusive rent to cover the hire of
the installed electric appliances such as cooker, boiler, kettle and
iron. The rent demanded does not cover the outlay on these houses,
they are subsidised by Dartford Rural Council. The houses built during
the last half century have gradually shown great improvements in
planning, rooms are loftier, windows larger to give more light and
air, and of course modern cooking, heating, lighting and washing
facilities have all made for lightening the work for the housewife and
for healthier surroundings.
Other than Council houses there have been no building
estates put up in either Parish, but many houses and
bungalows have been built privately. As will be
seen by the statistics at the beginning of the book, in 34 years the
houses have increased more than four-fold while the population is only
a little over 1ľ times what it was in 1921. This can he accounted for
by the fact that families are now much smaller. In some of the old
cottages where perhaps one or two people are living now, families of
10 or 11 persons lived. An example being the "Old Post
Office" cottages, The Street, Ash.
Generally the farmhouses come under the heading of "Interesting
Houses," the only change being the replacement of old farm
buildings by more modern ones, West Yoke, North Ash and Ash Place are
examples. Swan Farm buildings were rebuilt in 1921.
The only new farmhouse is "Corner Farm House"
which was built about 1947 and is owned by Mr. G. Clark as is also the
farm and old cottages.
Ash Place Farm House was originally 2 cottages, these
were converted into the present house in 1910 for a Mr. Vincent who
rented the farm from the Lambard family and lived at Swanley. It was
occupied by Mr Vincentís Manager. Later the farm and house were
taken over by Mr. Tubb. In 1928 the Seath family moved in and the farm
was managed by Mr Cyril Seath the eldest son. He is now is possession
as tenant of Mrs. Campbell of Melrose, Scotland