Within living memory, going back over a period of
seventy to eighty years, at least 39 houses have been demolished in
the Parish of Ash. They are as follows:-
3 cottages at the corner of the lane between the shop and the
"Royal Oak", on the same side as the "Royal Oak".
2 cottages adjoining the "Royal Oak".
2 cottages beyond the "Royal Oak" in the direction of
1 cottage opposite "Johnsons Farm".
1 farmhouse almost opposite "North Ash Farm" now known as
"North Ash Manor".
3 cottages farther down North Ash Hill, on the right.
2 cottages at the bottom of North Ash Hill known as Cuckholds Corner.
The last tenant of one of these cottages, named Pettit, kept 90 hives
3 cottages known as "Bradfield Cottages", roughly where
"Bradfield Villas" now stand.
"Black House" which stood behind "Flint Bungalow".
2 thatched cottages which stood where "Russell Villa" now
stands. "Russell Villa" was built by William Russell (see
"Shops") who was related by marriage to the Goodwin Family.
3 cottages in Snettings Park opposite Wallace Terrace.
1 cottage near the bottom of Billet Hill on the left which used to be
occupied by "Old Liz".
5 cottages converted into what is now known as the
2 cottages below this called "Seafield".
1 cottage just below the house called "The Haven".
"The Haven" was totally destroyed by a flying bomb in the
1939-45 War. It has now been rebuilt.
2 cottages close to "Leaders" opposite the Council Houses.
1 cottage almost opposite the Hodsoll Street Post Office.
2 cottages in Rosemary Lane called "Parish Cottages" (see
Nicholas Courney Charity.)
1 cottage on the Meopham Road almost opposite "Woodlands"
where the late Mrs Bolster Snr lived for many years and recently died
there. She was a great benefactor of Ash although actually residing within the Parish of Meopham.