Parish Hall is a memorial to the Reverend C.J. Lambard, a former
Rector of Ash who died in 1909, and in whose family the gift of the
living has remained for well over 200 years. This Rector was greatly
beloved. He was known as the "sporting parson" who carried a
gun and rode to hounds, and who was a father to his Parishioners. His
sisters were likewise benevolent, and would distribute cans of hot
soup to the needy in cold weather. When the two sisters and their
brother went out walking, village lads would bow and village lasses
curtsey to them.
To this well loved rector it was decided to erect a memorial.
A committee was formed including the Reverend Harold Barclay Hennell,
Rector of Ridley and afterwards of Ash also, and Mr George Day then
Chairman of the Parish Council. A fund was started to which the
villagers and friends
responded with enthusiasm and it was it was only a matter of time
before the Village Hall came into being, and the choice which as a
memorial won universal approbation.
It was opened by Miss Lambard, the late Rector’s sister on
February 8th 1910.
Soon after opening
door of the Hall is the following inscription:-
"to the Glory of God, and the
of the Reverend Jas. Lambard,
of this Parish from 1904-1909,
is dedicated for the use of
Christ in this Parish"
After the erection of the War Memorial
The cloakroom was
added about twenty years later as a memorial to Mr Aveling (see "Pettings
Court"), who had been a great benefactor to the Village and
had died in the Village Hall while presiding over a meeting of the
For a time good use was made of the hall as a centre of entertainment
and recreation. In the autumn of 1919 Mr Harold F. Day formed a
committee to start a football club, this developed into a Young Men's
Club, meeting five nights a week and catering for whist drives,
concerts, billiards, chess, draughts, darts etc.
As time went on enthusiasm waned. Organisations came into being,
flourished for a period and then faded and died. Management Committees
found it difficult to raise sufficient money for the overheads and to
keep the hall in good repair.
In 1938 Mr G.E. Leavey, then living in South Ash Manor, had the hall
re-decorated, installed electricity and gave a table-tennis table, also
stage and window curtains. At the same time a billiards table was
installed and paid for out of funds.
A new Management Committee was formed with Mr H.B. Nicholls as
Chairman, Mr F. Goodwin as Honorary Treasurer and Mr W. Simmons as
Honorary Secretary. Other members of the Committee were Mrs D.C. Meager and Mrs