During the period that
the Rev Samuel Attwood (1701-1735) was Rector of this Parish, he
founded a free school on the site of the present building, and in his
will left a charity for its maintenance. Nearly a century later
further charities were left for the school under the will James Lance
Esq. As far as can be ascertained this school was for girls only up to
the year 1879.
During the early period one of the school mistresses was
Miss Susan Fletcher a great Aunt of Mr Frank Fletcher (the retired
water inspector now living at Meopham.)
In these earlier years the boy’s school was at Berrys
Maple. No record can be found as to when this school started, but we
do know that the Master in charge at the time of its closing down was
Mr George Field, that was in 1871. Mr Field lived at "The
Haven" (then cottages). He was father of the late "Old Harry
Smith’s" wife and Mrs Mitchell used to live in "Flint
Bungalow" in The Street and is now in "Old Downs" Old
Peoples Homes. Mr Frank Fletcher is in possession of Mr George Fields
writing desk and ruler.
Boys School at Berrys Maple up till 1871
Berrys Maple School closed down Mr George Elcombe opened up a private
school for boys where the Post Office now stands. This continued until
Rather more than 100 years ago there was a Dames School
at Manns Farm, West Yoke where about a dozen girls received
instruction in "the three "R’s", sewing and cooking.
In 1879 the village school was extended and became a
National School. The first Headmaster being a Mr Tomlinson. The next
year Mr Simpkins took it over and in 1881 Mr Meyers became Headmaster
and held the position for 30 years. He was assisted by his daughter
who later married Mr Frank Fletcher. The late Miss Packman (sister to
Mrs Jarvis of 1 Kiln Cottages) then became assistant which post she
held for several years.
In 1912 Miss Wright became Headmistress.
The School in 1957