The Coveney charity was recorded by an
undated. extract, obtained from the Diocesan Registry, of a bequest by ‘N’cholas
Courney of Ash next Kingsdowne’ to ‘the Collectours of the Parish of
Ash and their Succissours for ever of one Tenement with the Appurtenances
leased unto Thomas Thurrocke for certain yeares, to be bestowed with the
profitte and commodities thereof to the vse pf the Poore People of the
sayd Parish of Ash yearely for euer’.
Nicholas Coveney, ‘weake in body’ when he made his will,
was buried on 23 August 1593. Joan, his widow, seems to have found quick
solace; on 8 November of the same year she was married to Thomas Jetar.
Only on these occasions are Coveneys mentioned in the registers. Nicholas’
tenant could have been the Thomas Thurrocke already mentioned in
connection with William Warren’s charity, but perhaps more probably was
of the next generation. The names ‘Thurrock’ and 'Durrock' both appear
in the registers and it seems likely that the latter was a variant which
replaced the former. In that case the Thomas first mentioned may have been
the ‘Thomas Durrock’ who died in 1592.
The survey of the parish made some two hundred years later
described two cottages on the west side of Rosemary Lane, then in
the occupation of Thomas
Ashenden and William Hall, as belonging to ‘The
Poor of Ask’. It seems probable that these cottages,
long since demolished, represented a conversion or replacement of the
tenement given to the poor by Nicholas Coveney.
Next noted. was ‘another Charitable Benefaction’, but for
this one no chapter and verse could be given. It consisted of an annual
sun of twenty shillings ‘given by one Thomas Comfort as ye ancient
people affirm & ye piece of ground bound for the payment of it is
called Sandy Croft lyeing at ye upper end of a certain field called White
Croft adjoyning to the Kings high way leading from Ash Church to Faukham
Green’, which twenty shillings had ‘been constantly paid time out of
minde without any dispute’.
A Thomas, son of John Comfort was christened. at Ash in 1562
and a Thomas, son of Anthony Comfort was christened at Fawkham in 1568.
One or other of these, more probably the first, is likely to have been the
‘Thomas Comfort gen(tleman)’ who was one of the witnesses to a
memorandum copied into the register book recording ‘that Wm. Hodsoll was
Church Warden in the yeare of 0 Lord 1593 but he receaved not the church
stock nor anye part thereof but he laid out 2. 111s 11d'.
Thomas was a favourite Comfort name; one so called was buried in 1608,
another in 1628 and a third in 1649.