KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH    Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Toke's and others, Heraldic Ledger Stones in Kent churches

Ester DENEW  1722 Old St James Church, Dover

The arms with crest and mantling measures 26inch x 22inch and are incised on a blue marble ledger stone, 78inch x 40inch, in the Chancel.

Arms: Or, five chevrons arg. for DENEW, impaling ... on a saltire ... between four billets ... nine saltiers ... Crest: A wyvern with wings displayed.

Inscription (a) on either side of the arms. "Here lieth ye body of Mrs Ester DENEW. She died ye 14th of Septr 1722 aged 77 yearsinch.

(b) beneath the arms. "Here lieth interred the body of Mary Daughter of Thomas ELWYN of Stalisfield, Gent. Wife of Nathaniel DENEW of Dover, Gent by whom she had issue James, Nathaniel and Mary the Eldest survive. The other dyed before her and lyes buried by her who changed this her mortal for immortality the 6th of Aprill in the 24th yeare of her age Ann. Dni 1665. Here lyeth the body of Mrs Ester WOODWARD (mother of Mrs Eliz. Denew) who dyed ye 11th of January 1702 Aged 80 years & 9 mon[ths]. Here also lyes the Body of Mr Nathl Denew who dyed the 3rd of December 1710, Aged 83 years & 6 months whose second wife was Ester Daughter of Richd Woodward Esqr who survives him by whom he had 11 children, 5 sons & 6 daughters of which four lye buried here and four are living (viz ... on Son & [three] Daughtersinch.

Rubbed Feb 18, 1928 by Nicholas Eyare Toke

Back to Ledgers Introductory Page

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

To Churchyard M.I.s     To Library and Visual Records      To Research         To Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society November 2015

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk